Class A recycled water: information for plumbers
When connecting Class A recycled water to residential properties in purple-pipe areas, it’s important to ensure all plumbing work is completed in accordance with Barwon Water’s conditions of connections.
Meters and inspections
Barwon Water is responsible for the installation of both drinking and recycled water meter assemblies. Please note that recycled water meters include a ‘lock-box’ that must remain in place until the final plumbing inspection has been passed.
Plumbers are required to notify Barwon Water at the completion of the following three stages during construction:
- Meter to dwelling: completion of pipework between the water meter and the building, but before back-filling.
- Rough-in: completion of pipework rough-in inside the building, but before internal wall cladding (i.e. plasterboard) is installed.
- Final: after all plumber work is completed, but before the building is occupied and completion certificates have been lodged.
In all cases, Barwon Water (or its authorised representative) will inspect the plumbing works at Stage 3. At our discretion, we may choose to make additional inspections at Stage 1 and/or Stage 2 – we will notify the plumber if these are required.
To maintain safety and quality standards, plumbers connecting Class A recycled water must ensure that the following conditions are met:
- No cross-connections of drinking and recycled water.
- Recycled water is only to be connected to toilets and garden taps (front and rear).
- Purple pipes must be used for recycled water (black pipes with purple stripes do not comply).
- Below ground, minimum horizontal spacing between recycled and drinking water pipes is 300 mm.
- Above ground, minimum spacing between recycled and drinking water pipes is 100 mm.
- Within the dwelling, any crossing over of recycled water and drinking water pipes must be kept to a minimum.
- All buried recycled water pipes must be identified by tape running along the top of the pipe, attached every 3 metres with the warning: "reclaimed or recycled water: do not drink".
- External recycled water taps must be purple, have a removable handle, a 5/8 inch inlet thread and a standard warning sign.
- External drinking water taps must be fitted with a hose connection vacuum breaker.
Commercial properties must comply with the same conditions as domestic connections, however, Barwon Water is responsible for plumbing inspections (as opposed to the Victorian Building Authority).
As part of these inspections, we may impose extra conditions depending on the intended use of the property. These conditions will be determined during the application process.