Concessions and payment assistance

If you hold a valid concession, you may be eligible for a discount on your water bill.

We also offer a number of assistance options if you are having difficulty paying your account.


Pensioners and eligible concession card holders may be eligible for discounted bills.

If you hold an eligible concession card, you may qualify for a 50% discount (up to a yearly maximum) on your water and sewerage charges.

To qualify for a concession, you must hold at least one of these eligible cards:

  • Centrelink Pension Concession Card
  • Department of Veterans’ Affairs Pension Concession Card
  • Department of Veterans’ Affairs Gold Repatriation Health Card for all conditions
  • Centrelink Health Care Card.

Please note, the following cards don’t qualify you for a discount:

  • Victorian Government Seniors Cards
  • Commonwealth Seniors Cards
  • Repatriation Health Cards For Specific Conditions
  • Repatriation Health Cards For All Conditions (Dependent).

The name and address on your water bills must match the details on your concession card, and be your main place of residence.

To receive your discount, you’ll need to first register your concession details with us. Your concession will then be automatically deducted from your bill.

Department of Health and Human Services: water and sewerage concession

Form: Registration for automatic concession

Bill smoothing

Our bill smoothing payment plans give you more flexibility and control by spreading out your payments into smaller, more frequent instalments.

Contact us and we’ll work with you to set up regular fortnightly or monthly payments catered specifically for your budget. You can pay automatically with Direct Debit, or we can send you an Easy Pay card.

Extended payment plans

If you’re having trouble paying your bill, an extended payment plan allows you to pay in fortnightly or monthly instalments over 6 months or more. Depending on your circumstances, you may also be eligible for bonus credits if you make every payment on time.

We also offer assistance by means of bill extensions, one-off grants and automatic Centrelink deductions.

Policy for customers in financial hardship.


If you receive a Centrelink payment, you can choose to pay your bills through automatic regular deductions.

Centrepay is free to use and you can choose to start, change or stop deductions at any time. The minimum deduction is $10 a fortnight.

Find out more about how to set up Centrepay deductions, or contact us to register.

Utility relief grant

The Department of Health and Human Services offers relief grants to low-income households experiencing unexpected hardship. The grant is available to renters and homeowners.

To be eligible, you must hold one of the following eligible concession cards:

  • Pensioner Concession Card
  • Health Care Card
  • Veterans’ Affair Gold Card

To apply for this grant, you’ll be required to show that you have no way of paying the account without assistance, and meet one or more of the following criteria:

  • You have had a substantial increase in utility use
  • You have had a recent decrease in income, for example, lost your job
  • You have had high unexpected costs for essential items
  • The cost of shelter is more than 30% of your household income
  • The cost of utility use is more than 10% of your household income.

Learn more about the Utility relief grant scheme.

Medical conditions and life support machines

Customers with medical conditions and on life support machines requiring high water use, such as dialysis or haemodialysis machines, may be eligible for additional discounts on their water bills.

The Victorian Government provides an annual reimbursement, equivalent to the cost of 160 kilolitres of water for eligible customers. Barwon Water provides a further 50% discount on the remaining water volume charges.

These discounts are available in addition to other concessions.

To be eligible for these discounts, applications must be made in writing, and include a letter of support from your doctor or hospital. Contact us for more information.