Products and standards
This page outlines the products, materials and design standards that are currently accepted by Barwon Water, for the installation of pipeline systems and associated infrastructure work.
This information is intended for product suppliers/vendors, construction and engineering designers and contractors.
Approved products and materials
Barwon Water has adopted the approved products catalogue developed by City West Water, with some limitations and exceptions – defined in our supplementary catalogues below.
View the Melbourne Retail Water Agencies (MWRA) product portal.
To use our product catalogues:
- Search the MWRA product portal to check if the product is approved by City West Water.
- Refer to the relevant supplementary catalogue for any limitations (section 1) or exclusions (section 2).
Our supplementary catalogues define the limitations and exceptions between products approved for use with City West Water, and those approved by us.
- Supplementary product catalogue for pressure pipeline systems (PDF 746.8 KB)
- Supplementary product catalogue for non-pressure pipeline systems (PDF 1.4 MB)
There are no supplementary catalogues for the following:
- Meters and ancillary components: all products listed with City West Water are also approved for use at Barwon Water.
- Sewerage pumping stations: none of the products approved by City West Water are approved for use at Barwon Water. For requirements for sewerage pumping stations, view the supplement to the WSAA Sewerage Pumping Station Code of Australia (PDF 448.4 KB).
Approval of new products
Suppliers and vendors can apply to have new products approved by Barwon Water. Approval of new products is considered under the following criteria:
- products must fulfil an infrastructure need; and
- have reached a positive appraisal from the Water Services Association of Australia (WSAA) or one of the Melbourne metropolitan water retailers: City West water, Yarra Valley Water or South East Water.
Contact us for more information on applying for a new product approval.
The following drawings are provided to ensure that all design, engineering and construction work is carried out to approved, common standards.
Standards and other information
Land Development and infrastructure construction activity must comply with relevant Water Services Association of Australia (WSAA) and Barwon Water standards.
The following WSAA and Barwon Water standards are associated with our Land Development process.
- Survey manual for land development (PDF 431.3 KB)
- Supplement to the WSAA Sewerage Code of Australia (2014, current) (PDF 1.2 MB)
- Supplement to the WSAA Sewerage Code of Australia (2014, superceded) (PDF 83.8 KB)
- Supplement to the WSAA Sewerage Code of Australia (2002, superceded) (PDF 1021.8 KB)
- Supplement to the WSAA Water Supply code of Australia (2011, current) (PDF 5.0 MB)
- Supplement to the WSAA Water Supply code of Australia (2011, superceded) (PDF 1.5 MB)
- Supplement to the WSAA Sewage Pumping Station Code of Australia (PDF 448.4 KB)
- Requirements for water supply pump stations (PDF 56.3 KB)
- Installation guide for precast concrete access chambers (manholes) (PDF 267.1 KB)
- Water quality requirements for commissioning assets in contact with Potable Water or Class A Recycled Water (PDF 1.0 MB)
Consultants and contractors
Any work done on Barwon Water infrastructure must be designed by consultants and carried out by contractors accredited by us.
The firms and individuals on these lists have represented to Barwon Water that they have the management capability, qualifications, expertise, and experience and technical capability to carry out work.
We make no guarantees or warranties as to the performance, commercial practices or financial status of these firms. We do not endorse any of the products or services offered by the firms or individuals listed. It is strongly recommended that you undertake normal diligence procedures to select appropriate accredited consultants/contractors.
If you are a consulting engineer or contractor seeking accreditation with us, please complete and submit an application form, along with relevant documentation.
- Consultant accreditation application form (developer works) (PDF 151.5 KB)
- Contractor accreditation application form (developer works / private works) (PDF 155.0 KB)
Please note that all contractors working, or intending to work, on Barwon Water sites must complete a health and safety induction before commencing work.
Learn more about our approved products, materials and design standards.