Residential customers » Customer assistance » Concessions and grants

Concessions and grants

Pensioners and eligible concession card holders may apply for discounted bills and assistance programs.

If you're in financial hardship you can apply for a grant to help pay your bill.

Image shows an elderly couple looking at their bills.

Concession card holders may qualify for a discount on their water bills.

Discounts for concession card holders

If you hold an eligible concession card you qualify for a discount on your bill of up to $305.50 per financial year ($152.75 for tenants). This amount is indexed by CPI annually.

Eligible cards are:

  • Centrelink Pension Concession Card
  • Department of Veterans' Affairs Pension Concession Card
  • Department of Veterans' Affairs Gold Repatriation Health Card for all conditions
  • Centrelink Health Care Card.

Please note, Victorian Government Seniors Card, Commonwealth Seniors Card, Repatriation Health Card For Specific Conditions and Repatriation Health Card For All Conditions (Dependent) are not eligible for concessions.

To qualify, the name and address on your water bill must match the details on your concession card, and be your main place of residence.


Register your concession details online 

You can now register your concession details with us online.

Simply complete the interactive PDF SmartForm below.

  SmartForm: Registration for automatic concession


Please contact us if you need help accessing or completing this form, or if you would prefer to register your concession details over the telephone.


Things to know

  • To be eligible for a concession bill, you must register your concession details with us first. The concession is automatically deducted from your bill. (You can not present your concession card and pay over the counter if you have not already lodged your concession details).
  • By providing your concession details, you authorise us to confirm your eligibility with Centrelink or the Department of Veterans Affairs. This consent is ongoing. To revoke it, please contact us.
  • If you are no longer entitled to a concession, you must contact us.



Utilities relief grant

The Department of Human Services provides assistance for domestic customers who are unable to pay their utilities bills due to a temporary financial crisis.

To be eligible you must hold one of the following concession cards:

  • Pensioner Concession Card
  • Health Care Card

You may also be eligible if your household income is lower than the cap set by the Deaprtment of Human Services. 

You need to demonstrate that unexpected hardship has left you seriously short of money so that you cannot pay your bill without assistance.

You must also meet one or more of the following criteria:

  • a significant increase in usage
  • recent decrease in income, for example loss of employment
  • high unexpected expenses on essential items
  • the cost of your water bill is more than 10% of your household income.
  • the cost of shelter is more than 30% of your household income.

Applications can be made once every two years.

  Department of Human Services: concessions



Customers with severe medical conditions

Customers with severe medical conditions that require high water use (e.g. kidney dialysis) may be eligible for reduced water volume charges.

Apply in writing, and include a letter of support from your doctor or hospital.

  Contact us for more information



Customers on life-support machines

The Victorian Government provides an annual reimbursement equivalent to the cost of 168 kilolitres of water for eligible customers on certain life support machines, such as haemodialysis machines.

Barwon Water provides a further 50% discount on remaining water volume charges.

These discounts are available in addition to other concessions.

Apply in writing, and include a letter of support from your doctor or hospital.

  Contact us for more information